Mug Design

Qwiek BV is a Noos Design company. They are both situated in the same building and run by the same people. During my internship I mostly worked on projects for Qwiek BV, however since they work so closely together I also worked on a couple of Noos Design projects. One of them was designing a mug for one of their projects. This project is from a Human Technology Interaction master student who is doing his project with Noos Design. The project focusses on children- who due to their decease- need to practice getting more stability in their hands with the use of a mug. Since I got a condition which stated that I have to work on my form and senses skills and I wanted to go through a design process from idea to product I was able to design this mug which would be used within the project.

First Iterations

The only criteria that where set for the mug where:
  • You should be able to put the electronics in.
  • There needs to be a way to add weights
Starting this process I made 3 different mood boards; Natural, Playful and Functional. With these mood boards I started making simple sketches. While discussing these sketches with my supervisor I received the feedback that these where all drawn from one angle and that they were not good for presenting my designs.

During this process I saw how important it is to have clear sketches. Within the stage of the sketches on paper, my designs were not as clear as I thought they where. When moving to the next step and presenting these new digital sketches I noticed that these where clearer and my ideas came across better.

Digital sketches

As a next step I chose 5 of the sketches and drew them in Illustrator in different perspectives. In this way I could make my sketches more clear and presentable. After presenting these 5 sketches to a few people at Qwiek one of the sketches was selected to work out further. This decision was made upon the style that they liked and the feasibility of the design.

3D models

To be able to 3D print the design for the first prototypes a 3D model had to be made from the design. Within this model there should be a place for the electronics and weights and everything should off course fit together. After discussing a couple ways of how the weights could be added and how the lid for the electronics should close I started making the 3D model in Solidworks.

After trying out a couple of different ears for the mug, one of these was selected and integrated into the final model. The 3D model was now finished and ready to be printed. After printing the largest part of the model, the mug itself, we saw that the mug was way too big. Therefore the measurements of the mug where altered so that the actual size would be more realistic. From this I learned that even though the proportions might look good on your screen, you still need to check the dimensions to make sure your design isn’t too big or too small.

Final model